Saturday, June 23, 2012

No, I have the best sausage!

I needed to go to Laos briefly. I left yesterday and came back today. I arrived at the train station about 10 minutes before departure, but I was hungry. So like a fool I went over to where they are selling food.

Some people already know my deep love and affection for Isaan sausage, sai grawg (the R and second G in "grawg" are very soft). So I went over there, sure that one of the many ladies would be selling it. I know you think I'm being sexist, but it's almost always ladies that sell those beautiful sausages.

There was one very aggressive lady who got in my face and tried to pull me over to her area. Then another lady on her cell phone tries to persuade me to hers. I ask them both if they have the sausage. They both say yes. I ask how much. They each say 40 baht. Finally I decide to go for the seller who is not literally dragging me to her stall, but she doesn't have the damned sausage that my heart so desires. Oh woe is me! So, assuming that the other was not LYING I ask her what she has. But alas, they were both LYING. So now I was sausageless in the Ubon bus station.

Eventually I got an Isaan-style grilled chicken breast, but my love for Isaan chicken breast is nothing compared to my passion for Isaan sausage. :-(

Glossary:
Isaan--North-Eastern Thailand and/or North-Eastern Thai people, associated with a very unique dialect and culture.

Isaan-style grilled chicken breast:

 Sai-grog--Wonderful sausage of the Isaan people.

No comments:

Post a Comment